Many of us have a dream, but too often we diminish them or put them on hold because the timing is not right. As time goes on our dreams take a back seat and are eventually forgotten. Now is the time to dust off those dreams and live the life we are meant to have.
Step 1: Identify what you are passionate about. What do you dream of doing? Having? Being? You must be very specific. Create a dream board or a dream journal and fill in as many details as possible. Don’t know what your passion is? No worries: as you begin to explore your passions, your dream will begin to materialize.
To help you get started, here are some questions you can begin to explore in depth: What do I love? What are my dreams? If I could do anything, what would I do? What matters to me? What do I believe in? What brings me joy? What do I find beautiful? Who am I? How do I want to spend my day? Where do I want to live? Who do I want to be around? Use your imagination and begin to get to know yourself, honor yourself, nurture yourself. Themes will begin to appear, and your passion will emerge feeling respected and cared for if you take the time to befriend it.
Step 2: Create a mission statement. This is a working statement that will evolve as your dream grows. Be clear about what you want to achieve and define your dream. My dream statement reads: “To bring well-being and empowerment to everyone I meet.” Now go and sit down and write a specific mission statement to define your dream. Keep working on your mission statement until you come up with something that reflects what is in your heart. This activity will be both fun and challenging.
Step 3: Create a plan of action. This is your own journey, so use your imagination, have fun, and embrace the infinite ways there are to turn your dream into reality. This takes time and effort. You need to research the area of your dream as much as possible. Build the skills and knowledge base you need; you need to do the work and be prepared in order to be successful. I doubt any successful restaurant owners opened their first restaurant without ever having worked in the industry.
Step 4: Put your action plan into action. Break it down into small steps and do what you can day by day. Be mindful about the process, taking the time to enjoy each step of the way rather than stressing yourself out. And remember: you need to keep yourself progressing in order for your dream to grow. Keep learning and recruit mentors or consultants as needed.
- Your dream matters! Believe in it and in yourself. If you believe, you will succeed.
- Have fun.
- Be positive. Henry Ford once said, “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you are probably right.”
- Be creative and maintain open curiosity. Look at your dream from different points of views and ask loads of questions. Keep learning. Keep growing.
- Be passionate. Put your heart in everything you do.
- Make new connections and maintain old ones. Supportive relationships are key to reaching your goals. Joining organizations also helps branch out your networking system.
- Just do it. Push all your “Yeah but” excuses aside and start working towards your dream now. It can’t wait any longer!
- Be your dream. Focus on your dream and make it come true. Don’t wait for it to come to you: you are now in charge and the only one who can begin the journey to your dreams.